My Own Journey towards better happiness

Submission for Chicken Soup for the Soul

Quote by Ralph YEW, Chapter President 2004 JCI Kuala Lumpur :
“In life, when we transform ourselves first for greatness, others will be surprise and then
motivated to join in “

Words cannot describe how I felt when my name was read out and adjudged the winner for JCI Best Business Plan at the 56th World Congress in Barcelona, Spain in year 2001. It was indeed an honour to be ranked the best business plan for my idea of J-Café a place for sharing a cuppa in a lifestyle alfresco environment while networking with like-minded leaders from all walk of life.

The story began as I begin to realise that life was truly a blessing for me, from just a mere normal member of Junior Chamber International (www.jci.cc) 4 years ago, I have attained so much. Rising to be the youngest chapter president of JCI Kuala Lumpur to being a globe trotting business executive for major organization here in the capital of Malaysia.

To me, this is such a big transformation from being a self-employed entrepreneur to my commitment to serving one of the longest NGO established in the country and now helming a position with an organization that pioneer the field of electronic document for traveling and border control. The lessons learned here are aplenty. In life, if you are willing to go the extra mile to help others improve, you will gain much in return. Another is, do not loose your faith in our God, for with faith we can move mountain.


At the age 24, I started my small enterprise handling the business of audio-visual system for private companies subsequently gaining the confidence to take up big projects with major oil and gas firm. However the business partnership came to an end after two years due to financial constraints. As one door closes another opportunity open up for me, it allows me to gain an invaluable insight into the world of branding with me joining a large organization promotings its brandname in home automation control.

The lesson here is never give up, continue to improve yourself and stay positive at all times. My desire to continue progressing in my education was finally awarded with the diploma in business management after two years of studying the course part-time after working hours.

While working I still play an active role to lead my JCI members to organize training and raising funds for the needy and the community. As I boldly step into the world of JCI, I received a lot intagible returns in form of people skills, strong international networks, personal development in term of growing myself and the bountiful exposure experience when I volunteered my time and effort to help others progress in their life. This truly reflect on our JCI Creed that reads “ Service to the humanity is best work of life”




From the work experience couple with a strong market insight I was offered a new position as a regional sales manager in one of the country leading technology company pioneering the field of electronic travel document or Epassport. From here, I had the chance to apply my management skills, market knowledge and international network of friends to develop new market penetration into the region of Latin America.

Among the rare opportunity and surprises include the experience of visiting the President of Republican Venezuela Hugo Chavez, the exhilarating experience of scaling the Pyramid of the Sun built by the Teotihuacan civilization in year 100A.D. in Mexico, the friendship with so many Ambassador of South American region and meeting the former great statesman from Malaysia Tun Mahatir himself.

Much of these would not be possible if not for the earlier effort taken to be trained by leaders in areas of effective communication, business management, corporate social responsibility and personal development in leadership. My active participation in international fellowship and youth congresses . Notably, I have also served diligently as a club President of MIHRM Toastmasters International and had learn from my fellow peers in my betterment of my communication and leadership qualities.

For my pastimes, I enjoy horse-riding and appreciating the wonderful nature. As for traveling it has taught me a lot about respecting other cultures and be open to appreciate the smaller things in life. Having just celebrate my first year of honeymoon with my lovely wife , we are now expecting our first newborn child this coming October.

Looking forward, I will live each day with much excitement knowing that I will one day achieve my vision to contribute towards sustainable ‘green’ effort for the mobile traveller. Indeed it will be a noble vision for benefit of mankind while conserving for our fragile environment. To conclude, I strongly feel that each person can transform their life to be better as long as they choose to improve themselves everyday at their workplace, in their schools and even at home, especially through continuous education.



Thank you

Article written by,
Ralph YEW, JCI Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Email: ralphyew@yahoo.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Practical Steps to survive a tough world economic situation

Making a Strong Comeback in 2010 .. We Can Do It